- An inventor in California has developed a windbelt, which is an affordable generator alternative, based on the principles of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge failure. It should have use in the developing world. Via architect.com
- Do you think about the impact of your plane ride when you take a vacation abroad? Maybe you should consider a stay-at-home vacation.
- The country’s fourth-largest coal producer, Massey Energy Co., will pay a $20 million fine for routinely polluting hundreds of streams and waterways in West Virginia and Kentucky. And while this is the largest civil penalty ever for violating the Clean Water Act, the fine may be a small price for a company whose profits reached nearly $100 million in 2007. The company settled to avoid facing fines which could have been as high as $2.4 billion according to the EPA.
- New York City might be getting its first bike only parking lot! If somebody can find the $200,ooo needed to make it happen.
- The North American Auto Show opened last weekend touting green technology, but that hasn’t stopped the automakers from pushing big trucks as well. From All Things Considered on NPR.
- China just banned all free plastic bags…how long will it take for a similar action in the US? From All Things Considered on NPR.
- How many gallons of water does it take to make a hamburger? Hundreds and hundreds! And that’s not including the water involved in getting your burger from the plant to the plate. Beef takes more water than practically every other food studied. Via Re-Nest.
Photo of Shawn Frayne courtesy of Popular Mechanics