Spare the Air Tonight! Monday, Nov 26. SF Bay Area
The air quality tonight is forecast to be unhealthy. The Bay Area Air District is asking residents to refrain from burning wood in their fireplaces and woodstoves, and to drive less.
Winter air pollution is mainly caused by small particle pollution, or particulate matter (PM). The two major winter sources of PM in the Bay Area are residential wood burning and motor vehicles.
You can help reduce winter air pollution if you:
– Do NOT burn wood tonight.
– If you must burn wood, burn less and use only dry, clean, seasoned wood, and nonglossy white paper. Moist, or “green” wood smolders more, producing greater amounts of harmful air pollutants.
– Postpone errands and link necessary trips.
– Retrofit your fireplace to burn natural gas, a cleaner alternative to wood burning.
– Check the chimney. Where there’s smoke, there’s a bad fire. Excess smoke means that the fire isn’t burning properly.
This advisory is in effect for the next 24 hours.
For up-to-date public transit information, visit www.511.org.
There is NO free transit program during the winter Spare the Air Tonight season.
To see the current air quality forecast, visit www.sparetheair.org
Thank you for doing your part to Spare the Air!
This AirAlert is provided by your Bay Area Air Quality Management
Photo Courtesy of SparetheAir.org